Hair and hormones.

23 May

ImageImageImage

If I grew up with you or went to college with you you probably think of two things to describe me.  Loud.  Followed by curls.  Or curls followed by loud.  Even if loud is not one of your two, chances are curls is.

I have spent my entire life fighting my curls.  F-I-G-H-T.  With gusto.  With tenacity.  To the death.  And much of that was done in the nice, humid world of Houston, TX.

My senior year in college I started to chemically straighten my hair- which ruined it.  Then I became the worlds best Chi-er.  I can do things with a flat iron that are out of this world.  So if you met me post college you probably don’t think of me with curly hair.  Not even RT does.  I just fought it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Then, I had Gia.

Image

Then, I had Luke.

Image

So here is the crazy part.  My hair is still curly.  Like super duper curly.  I can put gel in it, scrunch it like the dickens and viola- curls.  BUT, then it just falls.  Not all of it.  Just pieces.  Random ones all over my head.  So I become a disheveled mess.

For five (and a half) years I have been diligently flat ironing my hair.  Every. Damn. Day.  And frankly, I am tired.  I don’t color my hair because it can’t take the heat AND color.  (Plus, I think I may just go all grey.  I kind of think it says, “Yo- I am kick but confident.  Don’t mess with me.”)

So today, I tried to go curly.  And this is what I got.  Thoughts?  Helpful hints?  Because I think it kind of looks like a bad mid nineties ‘do.

Image

7 Responses to “Hair and hormones.”

1. Laura May 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

I say love your curls and embrace them! :) I use to straighten every day but then went to live in Paris and saw that everyone lived naturally and looked beautiful as their original self. I chucked my Chi iron that day and never looked back. It’s so much easier too to have curly hair – no worrying about spending hours straightening, or worrying about becoming a frizz ball in the humidity or the rain. My hair even looks better in the wind! :) Best tips I learned for preparing my curls: 1) use a good conditioner (curls love moisture!). I use Aveda color conserve shampoo and be curly conditioner; 2) after a wash I put hair oil in my hair along with Aveda curl enhancer and a bit of Aveda gel, then using a shammy type towel, I scrunch my curls; 3) you can then air dry or blow dry on low-med heat; 4) I then use Be Curly Curl Control by Aveda to smooth anything I need to or to define any curls. It’s great to use between shampoos as well to give life to your curls in the a.m. or before going out. :)

2. tonia May 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I think it’s totally bizarre that your hair doesn’t want to curl anymore! I loved your curls. I was so jealous you could go from curly to straight & your hair still looked awesome.

3. mimi May 23, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

I love the way your hair looks in the today picture. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I remember every hair style and every stage of life. I am enjoying every loud and curly moment! Thanks for being my girl. BTW, let your friends know for the record, that your Mom advised against the Sun In product that YOU put in your hair in that first picture from 5th or 6th grade. Love ya!

• bullandchina May 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Mom, I am literally laughing out loud. I look CRAZY in that picture. Sun in = Devil. You were right. I just don’t know what I would do if Gia got a bottle. Oh, I can just imagine the bill to fix that mess.

4. Amy Weyer May 25, 2012 at 1:55 am #

This is one of my favorite posts….mostly b/c it brings back so many great memories of us. Your constant reminder of how wonderful my straight hair was, but mostly how LOUD we were together. The many times we were called out of class for talking….did we ever bring anything higher than a S home in conduct….I doubt it :) Our mother’s became allies to make sure that we were staying in line and that we would not fall too hard for the George’s and Jack’s of this world…..where would we be without our mother’s?….both great women, and I surely needed a dash of your mother in my life, and find myself laughing and the thought of her getting her packback through my daughter :) I really can’t wait until you in Texas, and I am sure you will find your curls will come back the closer you get to the Lone Star State:) They are just tired of being humid free in CA!!!! Love you dearly!

5. Cassie Boorn May 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

This is so funny, my mom had straight hair all of her life and permed it regularly. (hello 80’s) After she had me her hair stayed curly and has remained curly for the past 24 years.

• bullandchina May 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Hormones and stretch marks….mean, mean things. Thank goodness kids are so cute.